22 March 2011

Obsessed

Yep. I was one of those nerds who waited in line ten days ago when the new iPad2 was released. I bought Scott one last summer as an engagement gift (because I was an excellent fiancee) but didn't really get why it would be lots of fun. He'd had it for months and I still didn't quite get it. When we went to Florida in December, I decided to play with it a bit and was immediately in love. (Do you realize I can keep up with my blogs lying in bed, people? WOOHOO!!) So I asked for one for Christmas but knew I wanted to wait until the new ones were released. So I waited. And I love it.

There are two problems though -
1. I stay up WAY too late looking at that thing. (By the way - she's called Ginger because she has an orange magnetic cover.)
2. I've found so many new blogs to follow in the last week and a half. Which means I'll be going to sleep even later. Sigh.

One of the blogs I found is Lily's Quilts. She's doing a dresden plate quilt-a-long. I've always loved dresden plates but thought they looked really complicated. Turns out they're easy peasy mac-n-cheesy. As soon as I saw the technique for making them, I knew I had to have one pronto. I found the blog on Tuesday and cut fabric and pieced the top on Thursday. I decided to make the pointier blades on the plate rather than her nice rounded one and I also decided just to make one small panel as a wall hanging for one of our bathrooms. (So in the picture, that's not the world's largest dresden plate block, it's a mini adirondack chair.) I've got too many other projects going to commit to a whole quilt of them right now although I'm so amazed at how easily it came together that I can see more in my future. I love how it turned out. I had a charm pack of Love by Amy Butler and used almost the whole thing. Started on Thursday, finished the binding on Saturday morning. How's that for instant gratification???

Also, with the mug rug madness going on, I have to show you the little one I made for Scott for Valentine's Day. When I started sewing two years ago, I made him a little coaster for his desk. And when I say little, I mean little. It made sense for a can of soda maybe but we use those big hulking Starbucks city mugs and you couldn't even see the little coaster when he put his coffee down. So this was a silly little Valentine's add on gift. Made with Ruby Star Rising. Binding is one of the Amy Butler Midwest Moderns. Tag on the back is a design Scott made for me and I had printed by Spoonflower. Love it!!



xoxoxox

No comments:

Post a Comment